Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Caramel Apple Sandwiches, Cinnamon Chocolate Butter

Young Living CinnamonWhat is the perfect October treat? Throughout my childhood years, apples dipped into a pot of melted caramel squares were the choice fall delight. I remember the anticipation as my mother stirred the thick goo on the stove while I speared sticks into the tops of crisp apples. It is the one treat that I missed the most when I changed to a healthier diet. For the longest time, my eyes lingered over the seasonal caramel apple display in the fresh produce department of the grocery store. I wondered how I could introduce this special treat to my children and leave out the sugar and dairy.
One day, I made a fall fruit plate with my children. I encouraged them to experiment with flavors and textures by assembling the varied ingredients of fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds in imaginative ways. One of my girls shouted, “Look, Mom…Caramel Apple Sandwiches!” Sure enough, one of my little raw food chefs in the making created a masterpiece by smashing one half of a pitted date between two thinly sliced apples. The best part is she proudly shares the recipe with her friends having made it up herself. I enjoy eating these even more than the unhealthy and messy dipped apples.
Since then, I have added a chocolate butter spread in which to dip the apples. I hope this is a special delight for your seasonal autumn gatherings.
Until next post….Nutmeg Pumpkin Pie!
Happy Eating!
Chef Mandy
www.chefmandy.com
Caramel Apple Sandwiches
INGREDIENTS
1.         Crispy fall apple varieties, thinly sliced
2.         Medjool dates, pitted
INSTRUCTIONS
Place an apple upright onto a cutting board. Make thin slices from one side towards the core. Repeat on the opposite side to create identical round cuts.  Pair the slices together. The two remaining sides can be cut into apple wedges, discarding the core. Smash a pitted date between two slices of apple rounds to make a caramel apple sandwich. Arrange on a platter and dip into the Cinnamon Chocolate Butter.
Cinnamon Chocolate Butter
Makes 2 cups
INGREDIENTS
1.         1/2  cup raw almond butter
2.         3/4 Tablespoons grade B pure maple syrup
3.         1/3 Tablespoon raw cacao powder
4.         2 drops Young Living Cinnamon Bark essential oil
5.         Pinch Himalayan salt
INSTRUCTIONS
Blend ingredients in a Vita-Mix blender until creamy. Place into a small dip bowl and serve with the Caramel Apple Sandwiches. Bonus recipe: Blend 8 ounces of hot filtered water or chocolate rice milk per 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon Chocolate Butter in a high speed blender until creamy for one serving of hot chocolate.


Brought to you by Aroma-Essence.com
http://lavender.younglivingworld.com

No comments:

Post a Comment